Contact HR Operations
130 Day Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
Save the date!
Bring a Child to Work Day
"Plant a Seed, Grow a Future"
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Held annually, Cornell University's Bring a Child to Work Day provides an opportunity for children to visit the Cornell Ithaca campus, explore interests and careers through participation in activities, consider and discuss work-life balance issues and see what parents, relatives and/or friends do in their careers at Cornell.
Registration is closed.
Tentative Schedule for Thursday, April 24
8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Check–in/pick up backpack: Kennedy Hall
9:30 - 10:30 a.m. Session I
11:00 a.m. - 12 noon Session II
12 noon – 1:30 p.m. Lunch on your own
12:30 – 1:00 p.m. Lunchtime Concert
1:30-2:30 p.m. Session III
Very important notes about registration:
- Please be sure to talk with your child about what he or she watns to do BEFORE registration opens on March 24. Have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices ready for each of the different time slots. Some of our learning opportunities are very popular and close within minutes of the 9a.m. opening time. (The printed registration page is helpful for collecting this information.)
- Very often, parents are waiting online for the registration page to go live at 9a.m. Please note that you may have to refresh the page before being able to see and interact with the registration system.
- If you are registering more than one child with only one adult we may be able to assist you. Fill out the paper registration form for multiple children and deliver it to Cheryl McGraw in 130 Day Hall by 5p.m. on Friday, March 21. With that information we can go online when the registration system opens to assist you in getting sessions for multiple children at one time. Please note: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices must be listed to assure that your children get into a session.
Note: Due to the popularity of Bring a Child to Work Day we are asking that you select two learning sessions to attend. If there is availability later in the registration process we will let you know.
- Individuals who wish to volunteer to help out with this event need the permission of their supervisors to be released from regular duties. If you would like to volunteer, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (607) 255-7565 or send an email to Cheryl McGraw at email@example.com.
Note: Participants will be engaged in many hands-on activities and walking from building to building throughout the day. Wear comfortable clothign and shoes in order to best enjoy this event!
If your child is interested in careers in Veterinary Medicine...
Please consider goign to the annual Vet School Open House on Saturday, April 12, 10a.m. to 4p.m. Parking and admission are free! The schedule and more information can be found here.
- Visit the petting zoo and play with baby farm animals.
- Explore exhibits with exotic pets and wildlife.
- Learn how to milk a cow.
- Discover more about the anatomy of your pets.
- Watch students perform an ultrasound on a dog's heart
- Dress up in surgical scrubs and have your photo taken as a veterinary surgeon.
- Visit Teddy Bear ER, where we will surgically repair your wounded stuffed animals with TLC.
- See a demonstration of our state of the art performance treadmill used to study orthopedic and cardiovascular diseases of horses.
- Watch as our expert farrier fabricates horse shoes throughout the day.
For those interested in applying to the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, as well as for those who just want to know more about veterinary education and careers in veterinary medicine, there will be admissions and veterinary career information sessions throughout teh day at the following times:
- Admission Presentations and Student Panels
10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm
Virtual Hospital Tours
11:30am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm
Location: James Law Auditorium
Friends and Family are welcome
Interested in Astronomy? Consider bringing your child to the Fuertes Observatory on their public viewing nights! Public viewing takes place at teh observatory every CLEAR Friday night, weather conditions permitting, from 9p.m. to midnight. More information can be found here.